Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Men in orange vests


Oct. 13.
Very cold this morning. The russet-colored grasses wore swirls of paisley ice on their leaves. Remember how I said the altitude wasn't bothering me? I was wrong. This morning I woke up with a massive headache. It felt like I'd been knocking back merlot milkshakes all night. I am drinking tons and tons of water and trying to chill my jets a little, but it hard for this anxious little person to relax and take things as they come. Wyoming isn't going anywhere. Neither am I.

In the kitchen next to my studio, there's a plaque on the wall. Here's what it says:

"THE RULE

NO ONE MAY INTERRUPT YOU WHEN YOU ARE IN YOUR WORKSPACE UNLESS THE BUILDING IS BURNING DOWN OR SOME OTHER TRUE EMERGENCY EXISTS.

COMPLEMENT: YOU MAY NOT INTERRUPT OTHERS IN THEIR WORKSPACE."

I like that.

The folks at U-Cross are taking very good care of us, seeing that we're fed, warm, and given lots of uninterrupted time to do what we've come here to do. All they ask is that we respect the land, their rules, and each other. With that kind of generosity, how can one do otherwise?

No comments:

Post a Comment